Alien species may have different criteria for Social Standing: Caste or Charisma. When dealing with a race that has a different concept of Social Standing, all DMs from Social Standing or its alien equivalent – whether positive or negative – are halved. In addition to their characteristics, aliens may have one or more alien traits. Armoured: The alien possess thick fur, scales, a bony exoskeleton or other natural protection that gives it one point of natural armour. Aquatic: The alien is adapted to life underwater. It can breathe underwater, or hold its breath for a long period (Endurance x 10 minutes on average). If amphibious, its Dexterity is halved on land. If the species is not amphibious, then it cannot operate out of water without mechanical aid or telepresence. Atmospheric Requirements: The species requires an unusual combination of gasses to breathe, and cannot survive in most atmospheres without artificial aid. Engineered: The species has been altered by some external factor to adapt to changed circumstances or a different environment. Medical treatment of Engineered species by a facility of a lower Technology Level than that at which the species was created receives a negative DM equal to the difference. Fast Metabolism: Creatures with a fast metabolism require more food than most species, and their life support costs are doubled. In combat, fast-metabolism creatures gain a +2 initiative bonus. Fast-metabolism creatures halve their Endurance for the purposes of determining fatigue. Feral: Feral species are uncivilised, regardless of their technological knowledge. Feral species roll Education on 1d6 only. Flyer: The species can fly using wings, glider membranes, gasbags or other means. Characters of this species gain the Athletics (flying) skill at Level 0 and can travel at a speed noted in their description. Flying creatures who are aloft must spend one minor action every round on movement or stall and fall out of the air.
- Winged flight is tiring and can only be sustained for a number of rounds equal to the creature’s Endurance before requiring a like amount of rest. Some specialised avians can increase this to minutes or even hours equal to Endurance.
- Species with glider membranes cannot gain altitude while flying. They descend one metre every time they move forwards and cannot use more than one minor action for flying movement in a round.
- Species that float using gasbags or some other method do not need to move to remain aloft.
- Some Large creatures are described as Huge. Attacks against Huge creatures receive a +1 DM to hit.
- Uplifted apes have Notable Strength and Endurance (+2) but all other characteristics are Weak (-2). They have the Uplifted trait.
- Uplifted dolphins have Notable Strength (+4) and Notable Endurance (+2) but Weak Intelligence, Education and Social Standing (-2). They have the Uplifted, Aquatic (fully aquatic, air-breathers) and No Fine Manipulators traits.